Skip to main content

Burda Spring Coat - Construction

Here I am back with the promised post on construction of my Burdasyle Spring Coat



For me, this coat was all about the embellishments: I had had my eye on the pattern for a while, I like that it's very simple so it was perfect for embellishing. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll note that I haven't yet gone back to making a notched collar after messing this one up (that's less fear than not having enough time). I also liked the opportunity to forego closures, which meant more time to play with all the pretty things I used :)

So, construction. The fabric is wool gabardine, and the lininig is silk satin. I interfaced this using the lightweight fusible weft interfacing from FashionSewingSupply - I wasn't really sure what to use, but upon testing multiple interfacings, this was was the best on this fairly light-weight fabric. I mostly used my Singer Tailoring book, and followed the "fusible" method: this means interfacing the whole front, the hems and the top of the sleeves, as well as creating a front fusible stay. Additionally, I interfaced all seams on both the shell and the lining, a trick I picked up from my RTW jackets:


I also added a back stay, and followed the instructions for adding a back neck stay:


As seen in the picture above, I also catch stitched all the seams down with fairly long stitches.


Then, embellishments. I only used these on the front of the coat:


I used three types: the wool selvedge, the little copper/metal bits and some soutache. I attached the selvedge first, to the bottom of the coat - this is pretty subtle and it goes around the coat.


In this picture above, you can see the markings for the soutache as well. I attached this by machine, even though you would normally do it by hand. The soutache does not go around, but stops at the side seams. I then added the metal bits, after playing with them for a while. 

I really like the result, although I ended up hemming the thing much higher than I thought I would have to initially. 


This concludes the posts I had on this coat. I haven't been able to wear it anywhere yet because it's been so warm this summer - we've had an amazing summer here in Switzerland, best one since I've been living here in fact. I had some time after I finished this coat to do some more sewing, but no pictures yet... hopefully I'll get to that before summer is over though! 

Comments

  1. It sounds like a labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a great coat and I love the embellishments. I think once the winter chill returns you will wear it lots, it would look so good over an all black outfit to contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really looking forward to that. But for now, I'm happy to just enjoy summer (which has been simply amazing this year)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…