Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from 2017

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Burda Spring Coat - Construction

Here I am back with the promised post on construction of my Burdasyle Spring Coat



For me, this coat was all about the embellishments: I had had my eye on the pattern for a while, I like that it's very simple so it was perfect for embellishing. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll note that I haven't yet gone back to making a notched collar after messing this one up (that's less fear than not having enough time). I also liked the opportunity to forego closures, which meant more time to play with all the pretty things I used :)

So, construction. The fabric is wool gabardine, and the lininig is silk satin. I interfaced this using the lightweight fusible weft interfacing from FashionSewingSupply - I wasn't really sure what to use, but upon testing multiple interfacings, this was was the best on this fairly light-weight fabric. I mostly used my Singer Tailoring book, and followed the "fusible" method: this means interfacing the whole front, t…

Blue Spring Coat

Oh, the irony, of publishing a post with the word "spring" in it on the 3rd of June when it is something like 25-30 degrees Celsius outside. There's always next spring though :)

This is my spring coat - a coat that was meant for spring, but instead took all spring to sew, so I guess at least the name fits. I started this sometime at the beginning of March, and finished it last weekend.


This is a Burdastyle pattern, more specifically Collarless Open Coat 03/2012 #110, in size 38. This size fits me very well for Burdastyle coats, although I think the adjustment I make in shirts and dresses (raising the armhole) should be just a standard adjustment for me. As it stands, the coat is feels nice, but raising the armhole would have given me more freedom of movement. Not a big deal, but helpful given daycare pick ups etc.


Looking at these photos, the sleeves also seem a bit wide, but to be honest I prefer a bit more ease through the arms. What I don't like, is that the sleev…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Odds and ends

I need to go and actually shoot these two shirts I sewed recently, but in the meanwhile, I thought I'd do a post on stuff I sewed that is not items of clothing - I have three things to show for now. The sewing projects below were pretty cool because they took very little time to sew - I was done fairly quickly, so quick wins :)

First up, the baby blanket I mentioned in my last post:


 This is a Rainbow Ripple Blanket, free pattern on Ravelry, and my finished project is here (no notes though). I used a cotton yarn that I bought locally in Manor called Maddison Bio, in shades of blue. I also used some of this Starry Night yarn from a seller on Etsy.


This was a very long project in the making - I traveled a lot when I was pregnant last year (mostly for work) and it was my "airplane project". Then the baby came and it was nowhere near done, so I started working on it at home while I was on maternity leave. I'm not sure if it's actually as big as the Ravelry pattern su…