Skip to main content

Vogue 1440

It seems I have not posted anything in 2 months! I did a bunch of sewing in the meanwhile, including sewing classes (yay).

I wanted to follow up on the Vogue 1440 blouse, and I think I have plenty of pictures so I might do a 2-part post. I'll do finished pictures here.

First off, a picture from the front. It is fitted through the bust, with a hidden button placket (4 buttons) and a full collar.


The fun part comes in the back:


The V at the racer back looks awesome, but it needs some faffing around with the bra, normal stuff does not work, you need one that crosses, or a strapless, or something to not show the straps. I wear it with a long sleeved body underneath, this is maybe not the best way to do this though. I'm still considering options.

The fabric is an Oscar de la Renta silk twill from Mood. It was all right to work with, and Mood's description of this fabric is accurate - the drape is more like a crepe de chine, which is why it worked for this blouse:



I managed to squeeze the blouse out of 1.5 yards (with barely nothing left). I think I cut one thing slightly off grain to do it, but I don't remember what that one thing was. The pattern asks for 2 3/4 yards in 45" fabric, so that's more than a yard less - that's great.

As mentioned in my previous post, I altered the shoulder area substantially, but otherwise didn't do much. I love the racer back, it's very unexpected - especially if you have long hair like I do. Usually the long hair covers it, and you can just see a peek from time to time.


Sadly I didn't do my best with sewing the bands on, you can see some rippling there. The blouse is fitted through the bust, and then flares out in a trapeze-like way to the hips ("tent-like" as Mr T keeps saying). The back seam ends in a little split, although it's quite small and not very visible - I don't even have a picture of it.


I don't have much else to say about this - it's a nice pattern, true to size, but I won't be making the blouse from 1440 again, since I don't need more than one of these in my life. It was a good experience while fitting though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…