Skip to main content

Crochet central: wintery headband

I haven't had much sewing mojo lately, I guess it's just winter time. I have done some crochet, which I'm partially posting today and partially later in the week.

My dad was complaining recently that he can't find a nice headband to buy. He really prefers headbands to caps in winter for some reason. Since I had some yard around, I decided to help him and I crochet a super quick one for him. I took pictures with my phone this morning before work:


It's really quite big for me, but I think it's going to look better for him. The pattern is a simple single crochet, with the hook going through the back edge of the stitch only - that's what creates the ribbed effect.

I also did a massive zig-zag in a contrasting color, this was pretty easy to do - I just worked with two yarns - the blue was my main one, and the orange/autumn one was just used for a single stitch in each row.



I did 3 rows of double crochet with both yarns at the end. Since using two yarns for the dc was quite thick, I skipped each second sc, and only did half the number of dc as sc. I mostly did this because I needed some more width but the zig zag-shape was ending - this way, I could finish the zig zag in a way that looked intentional, and the rows of dc look ok. Plus, this allows you to know which is the back of the band and which the front.



Finally, when I was done with the body of the headband, I added two rows of normal sc on both top and bottom, and another row of sc in the brown contrasting color. The brown was a specific request!

Fun fact: the blue yarn is the very first yarn I bought, when I started learning to crochet, it's great to finally see it put to good use. I'm mailing this to him this week, hopefully he will like and wear it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…