Skip to main content

An outlook to 2015

Hello everyone... it's been quite radio silence here lately because I haven't been sewing much. I ended up rushing to make a blouse on new year's eve, which ended in near disaster, so I think for me 2015 will be marked by slow sewing. Taking my time and making sure everything is right makes for things I will wear.

December and January have also been impossibly busy at the weekend, which is still my major sewing time. For one, I have taken up skiing, since I live in Switzerland now after all:


Not really taken up as much as "done a couple of hours of ski school" but we'll see how it goes. Ideally, I'd like to try cross country skiing at some point too, but I'm not sure if that will be this year or the next. Downhill skiing is probably what I'll do this year.

In crafting news, I started some crochet work in early January:



I'm making the Mirror Lake Scarf, which I found Ravelry. I'm making this for my mom, whose birthday is soon, although I don't know if I'll finish & block in time for that - the squares are an 8-row repeat and rows 6-8 are quite slow going for whatever reason.

Once I'm done with that, I'd like to go back to those wristlets I started last year and got stuck on. Then, maybe I'll work up the momentum to try the cardigan in Jennifer Hansen's Craftsy class.

Sewing-wise, other than taking it slowly, I have a few plans.



Skirts - Another Vogue 1247, this time in a dark grey suiting and a V1357 in camel wool suiting, since this type of skirt is very popular this season (like this one).

Tops - I have a bunch of very drapey silk voile and crepe fabric which I'd like to make up into tops in the first half year. I'll start with V1387 pattern, move on to another Sewaholic Belcarra blouse. Finally, I have two shirt patterns from Bootstrap fashion, one of which I'd really like to make up at some point.

Dresses - Before the holidays I bought some wool double knit, and then ordered the Uptown/Downtown dress in January - I'd very much like to make up this dress for the winter season.
Then, I would like to try my hand at a wool suiting dress, this Bootstrap fashion pattern. Finally, I want to mess around with colorblocking on Vogue 1316.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…