Skip to main content

Autumn / Winter Hiatus

Soo.. I just haven't been feeling like blogging much recently. Well, to be honest I haven't been sewing much either. Or feeling like doing much of anything except reading and looking out the window at the grey immensity that's outside (ok ok in truth it's not that bad - this has been a good autumn for me, and this temporary meh is just due to tiredness)

Still, I did finish a couple of things and it just so happens that I took phone pics so I figured I'd share.

First off, this dress will get a proper post when I take pictures:

Yes, I look like a dork trying to take that photo, but hey at least no phone selfie. It's Vogue 1329:


And I have obviously put the color blocking on the wrong side. It also feels a bit wide around my hips, so I might just take it in before I take real pictures :)

As an aside, looking back at this pic, this dress looks really rather ridiculous (it might also be the shoes). I just don't have much success sewing dresses I guess :/


Then I did a bit of selfless sewing, and made a baby quilt as a present.


 I used this tutorial: http://buttercreamsewingmachine.blogspot.ch/2012/01/tutorial-baby-log-cabin-tag-quilt.html, although I guess I didn't follow it exactly. I chose the center piece cat fabric, then I got the rest to match.


The back is a very nice "garland" grey - you can't see it, but it is striped and has these tiny circles with color inside (not sure that makes much sense, but it's pretty so that's that).

I got all the fabrics from plushaddict.co.uk. I really like this store for quilting stuff, because they're super quick and they have a great shipping deal to Switzerland (they're not paying me to say this: I genuinely like the store). They also have a color matching service - the brown below was chosen by them as the shade I had picked wasn't a good match.


I also added tags to this quilt as per the tutorial, cause I thought that was a cool idea, here's a picture with all of them. I just used random bits of ribbon I had around in the stash, but hopefully the kid will like it.



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I'm wearing it again today and it does feel too loose, so maybe I'll take it in quite a lot I'm thinking. But otherwise, I'm pretty happy :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…