Skip to main content

Silk Crepe Bellini Blouse

I can't believe I've been sitting on these photos for two three weeks already. Time does fly doesn't it! I also don't seem to have been sewing at all in the past two weeks, though I am working on a dress currently.

This is a picture heavy post.


I made another Bellini blouse, this time in silk crepe which I got in the remnant bin at Britex. It was a good 2 yards as well, so I have enough for a sleeveless top or accents on another top or something similar!


As mentioned last time, the pattern needed some changes. I was too lazy to retape the pattern together, so instead I modified the existing one: I extended the bust circumference by about 1 inch, and increased a bit more at the hips. I did this by keeping the shoulders the same and cutting and extending into the armhole. Then, I remade the armhole curve. It worked ok, especially in the back. I should have made the armhole deeper in the front though.


I'm standing crooked in this picture, but the back flows nicely I think. As before, no swayback necessary. Side view and another front view below.  I'm not sure about the drag lines - whether they're because of how I'm standing or not. Now, I'm not the thinnest person around, but I think part of the drag lines also come from the belt I am wearing. I'm always wear jeans with a belt, and it seems like I need to account for that in my makes from now on.

I'd appreciate some feedback otherwise if you have any. I wonder if I should have made a proper FBA on this pattern - I don't think so, but any inputs are welcome!



Construction wise, I used french seams everywhere, and this time I overcast the edges of the front facing, since I didn't want the blouse to ravel at all.


I made bias binding as before, and I also used it to finish the hem, since I wanted something easy - no one will know anyway, and it's not more bulky in this fabric. Also, otherwise I would have been left with a perfectly usable length of bias binding :)

The only embellishment I made was to add 3 buttons on top instead of following the placement.


I saw this in a pretty shirt one of my friends has, and thought I'd replicate. In hindsight, they could have been closer together, but it's always hard to tell with buttons.


Unlike before, making the collar was a lot easier - I knew what to expect, so that was part of it. Come to think of it, making it was very easy overall - no issues with slipping silk or anything.

I wore it a few times already!


Comments

  1. I just found this via your instagram! Congrats on another very successful make - hope you have been getting a lot of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…