Skip to main content

Wearability Report: Vogue 1247, A Not-So-Perfect Little Skirt

I'm looking at clothes I made after I got a chance to wear them a few times, and report on how it went. I'm calling this the wearability report, where I'm listing the good & bad workmanship, the pattern merits & faults, the fitting strengths & failures, and following up with a general wearability score for the garment on a 1 to 10 scale, and general thoughts on it, a few months after it was made.

Earlier this summer, I made this skirt, from Vogue 1247, blogged about here.


I loved the pattern, actually I still do and I currently have another version on my sewing table (this time for winter - it's in danger of turning up a bit squee as it stands, but we will see how it goes!).

A  few good things, and several issues:

1. (workmanship) All the seams align well, I'm mega proud of this.
2. (pattern) Pockets gape, especially when having a phone inside. To fix I just catch stitched them to the skirt front - which worked very well, and was an easy and unobtrusive fix. Should have been in the pattern instructions.
3. (pattern, fitting) It's really short, which makes it unusable for work. I wore it for a while at home, but the shortness makes it uncomfortable even there. I tried to wear it at my high hip for extra length but it's just too snug for that - the size I made is the right size if the skirt sits at the waist.
4. (workmanship) The back zipper - a normal zipper since I didn't have a black invisible one on hand - was quite shoddy and didn't look very straight. It basically ended up as an exposed zipper that had that frightful homemade look. Unfixable:


4. (workmanship) The crooked waistband, where I went off pattern and invented my thing. At least no one could see this one - I wrote about it in the original post.
5. (fabric quality, workmanship) I'm afraid I don't have a picture for this. The linen got really nasty after washing, with all topstitched seams bunching up. No amount of pressing helped. I think part of this was my underlining in silk organza and then throwing it in the wash.
6. (workmanship) The piping worked and looked nice, even though it limited the color options for the top.


Lessons learned: 
   1. spend more time sewing up the waistband correctly.
   2. underlining has a time and place; summer garments are not it

Quality score: 5  (2 good - 1 neutral - 3 bad, out of 6)
Conclusion: Pattern too short as designed, very very poor workmanship. Because of the fabric quality issues and my faults while sewing it up, I have relegated this to the wadder pile, and will be throwing it out soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…