Skip to main content

Dixie Charm: the stealth shawl

With autumn and winter fast approaching, I wanted to get back into crochet. I even have a mini yarn stash, so I decided to choose from it. I had two choices: a dark silver silk/linen blend and an autumnal color cotton blend. I went with the dark silver since it had a pretty sheen to it that would work well with anything.

I wanted something easy, because my next project will be to tackle the mitts I got stuck with last winter. Hopefully now that I have a few more projects under my belt, I can tackle that again and be more successful than last time :)

Easy crochet project (Ravelry link), I thought something that requires no fitting would be good, so in order for it to be useful at work, I figured a shawl or a wrap would do. I wasn't quite sure I would like wearing one of these with normal clothes, but it didn't turn out too bad - see top picture!

Knowing I wanted a shawl or a wrap, I hit Ravelry looking for a crochet pattern that would take up to 600yards of sport weight yarn, and I found this lovely item called Dixie Charm, so I started with it. I bypassed gauge making and everything too (pattern instructions condone this!):


It's very cute at first :) The pattern is crocheted in a V shape, going around the outsize. It has a one row setup, 3 rows of lace work and two rows setting up the filled spaces. It went together pretty easily, although I did skip a bunch of double crochets (UK trebble) at the beginning. By the time I got to the 3rd pattern repeat I had the "go in 2s" thing sussed out, and the rest went smoothly.


I'm calling it a stealth shawl because of the form it had when blocking - a coworker suggested it, and I thought it was a good idea.

It seems I have 7 full repeats. Because I was running out of yarn, I didn't finish as the pattern suggests. Instead, I did a short repeat of Row 4, Row 5,  Row 8, Row 9 and then finished with a row of single crochet (UK double crochet) all around (including the bottom).

I thought it would be too short a good way through, but actually it didn't turn out small at all, it's perfect length and it covers my arms well. This will be useful for my Californian trips - the AC is always on there.


I find it is very pretty - I really like the lace work. No, this is not me sounding old at all!

I also didn't realize these things actually stay on your ams without you constantly adjusting them, so it works really well as office wear.

Here's a back picture.

A very successful project, no?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…