Skip to main content

Jeb Trousers: Details

Now, Mr T absolutely refuses to do a photoshoot for zee internet, so sadly only details on the Jeb's I made for him. However, the cool thing is that my dad saw him wearing them and now wants a pair himself! So if I make those for him, I might get some photos for the blog anyway since he's not as sensitive about it.

This pattern is very very good - the final result is very close to RTW. I am extremely pleased with it

I made these from a light-to-medium weight linen, which feels amazing to the touch. I bought it at John Lewis, especially for Mr T - although I was planning to make him a shirt initially.

The inside is mostly finished with binding - I used binding for the waist band, the crotch seam, and the outseams. The inseams and the yoke seams are flat felled. The crotch seam is "fake felled" - it's finished with binding and then topstiched.



I did all seam finishes as per instructions, with the exception of the outseams, where I didn't press open the seams: instead, I pressed to the back, bound both sides of the seam, then did a very narrow (1/8") topstich - my RTW jeans have that feature, and I like it. Here's a picture while Mr T is wearing them:


As a contrast, this is one of the inseams - they are done with real flat felled stitches (sew right sides together, trim one seam, press the other over). It also shows some of the very best topstiching I have ever done - I'm sooo proud of it. It's because Mr T will not wear something that's not perfect, so I take more care with his stuff than mine (you should see how long it took me to hem his dress trousers).


The front pockets are done in a silk twill leftover from one of the few things I made that looked REALLY homemade. I didn't expect how drapey the fabric was, and made a terrible pattern choice, so it went into the bin. I had enough leftovers for these though, and actually the silk is suuuuper smooth and nice. 


The picture above also shows one of the many reinforcing bar tacks in these. 

On the outside, I made a mistake with the pockets - the two designs should have been mirrored, but TBH, I have huuuuge issues with mirror facing pattern pieces. My brain just doesn't do geometry right. Anyway, I don't think anyone will notice.

I love the little Swiss logo I put on there. I went to the shop and explained (in my very broken German) that I'm making trousers for my husband, and he really wants a Swiss logo on the pocket. The lady there laughed when I said it :)


And this is the right front pocket, which has a small grosgrain ribbon flavour (only on the right one though). Also, one two of those bar tacks, one at the bottom of the pocket, and one at the top.


Finally, this is the fly front - pretty good for a first try, no? The waistband is topstiched 1/8" from the waist seam, and the button has a crown on it - straight from my button drawer!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…