Skip to main content

Belacarra Blouse. And curtains

I found the Belacarra Blouse an interesting idea - I wanted to try raglan sleeves, but wasn't too  sure about buying the pattern yet. I tried normal sleeves and kimono sleeves but a good raglan sleeve opportunity is not that easy to come by - still, I dwindled thinking I have enough stuff on my sewing plate so one more blouse won't make a difference.

Then, Tasia released the pdf version, and said she'll do more pdf patterns if it sells well. Well now, that's an interesting idea isn't it? It so happens I'm quite interested in the maxi skirt they brought out - more interested than in the blouse anyway but not quite enough to handle a paper pattern shipped from Canada yet. Still, the pdf Belacarra was in the back of my mind, and the fact that I really want the Gabriola as a PDF even more so.

 I'm not usually a keen participant in givaways - not sure why, but I just never warmed up to them, although I keep telling myself at some point I'll enter one of those pyramid giveaways. However, when I saw the Belacarra Sewalong Giveaway, I said to myself, I need to get the PDF version of that pattern. Said and done: I went and bought it, so I will enter this giveaway! I just need to make it by Friday. Easy peasy you'd think, but Mr T said I must finish the curtains first  - and he's right, I really must, because the ones I made for the living room are too long and they currently look like this:



So my plan is to get one set of curtains done on Tuesday - the ones that need to be shortened (Monday I had late meetings so no sewing), then spend Wednesday/Thursday evening sewing up the Belacarra, then go back to curtains on Thursday/Friday. Hopefully that will let me do something else on the weekend.

Here's the one cool thing I wanted to show you though. The first page of the Belacarra pdf is actually super cool, and an idea I never saw anywhere else. I hope other pattern companies start doing this:

Not only can I just print whatever view I want to make without spending the time to figure out what that is, but they're arranged such that it saves on loads of paper. Which is neat if you think about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…