Skip to main content

Crocheting a real garment...

I just finished a new top, and I have agonized over naming this one for a long time. I have been told "The Green Lantern" or "Shrek". In Romanian, we would call this caller "brotac" (I don't know why), which loosely translates to "green frog".

I don't have many pictures, but I have a few, including construction. This is me, wearing it, in sunny California last week:


It is a Doris Chan design, from the book Everyday Crochet. This is the Sweet Tea top. The only change I made was to crochet fewer rows on the neck finishing. If you look at my top and you look at the picture in the book you'll see mine is a bit higher in the neckline - and that's with crocheting an extra few foundation stitches while making the straps.

The yarn I used was Lang Golf in color 163.0093, one of three types of green, and I used a 4.5mm hook (7US - no idea why it doesn't have a letter), except for the edgings where I used a 4mm hook (G/6 US). The top ended up growing a bit in length with blocking, but not substantially in width.  I particularly like the straps, which I sadly don't have a good photo of.


I made this for layering over work shirts, and it is just so: fitted for layering, meaning it is slightly large when I wear it on its own. It fits my dress form a bit better than it fits me :) This isn't too visible in the front, but it's obvious in the back.


Quite a good make for my first ever crochet garment. I already started on a second one - from the same book, this time the Galena.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…