Skip to main content

Afternoon Blouse

The first thing I made when I created my new sewing space was an afternoon blouse. You see it here after I wore it for a whole day so it's pretty wrinkled. :-(



This pattern really is an afternoon blouse, it took me roughly 4 hours to make, complete with assembling the pattern (over two days though). I did somewhat cheat by pinking the seams instead of doing something else to finish them, which saved some time. The fabric is a cotton lawn I think - bought from Sew Over It in London.

I didn't make any alterations this time around, but I think I will next time - for one, the bib issue is back, which makes me believe I have a short torso. You can see the marks after wearing it in this pic:



The V-neck is also a bit gaping in this version, but I managed to fix it by creatively arranging the overlapping sides :-) Now it looks OK but it's not perfect.

On the bright side, I don't seem to need an FBA in this blouse (no fabric moving up above the bust area), and I definitely didn't need a sway back adjustment, which is pretty good and very unexpected. I can also move my hands in front of me - I guess the kimono sleeves give me more back room. I'll put together a new, unmodified Laurel and compare the back to the Afternoon Blouse to test out this theory :-)

Wearability score: 10/10

Comments

  1. This is really nice! I like how your folding looks actually, it makes the blouse look a lot more modern and looks nice with the triangle by the button. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Modern was what I was going for - I think this is a pretty forgiving pattern.

      Delete
  2. I really like this! Good job with that tricky neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I really like it as well, it's certainly entered my clothes rotation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…