Skip to main content

Hello Totoro!

I actually finished these about 2 weeks ago but have been racking my brains on how best to photograph ever since. Well, no more  - I decided there's no good way to photograph this while wearing them so I'm finally going to post something about them.

Drumroll.... here are my Totoro trousers:

One leg (the right one) features the big Totoro, the other one features the two small ones. I just used Google Image Search for templates.

The big one took about 8 hours to complete. Here's a better shot with completely messed up focus:


What I did here was to cut the big outline from jeans, cut the smaller outline from the wrong side, embroider the little Vs, the whiskers and the eye. Then, I attached the smaller outline using  fell stitches, and the bigger outline to the jeans also using fell stitches.

Because I wasn't happy with how the Totoro was visible, I then went around the whole thing with embroidery floss - 2 strands cream, one strand blue - using a back stitch. I also put fray stop around the whole thing to make sure it doesn't fray too much.

I took loads of pictures while doing this, and this is what Google Plus kindly put together:




For the small Totoros, I went embroidery only, and didn't keep track of how long it took me - I certainly spent a few hours on a plane just working on this. Here's a close-up:


First I fixed the jeans (this was the main purpose after all), and did mostly back stitch, with French dots for the eyes and one of those filling stitches for the center. I should have filled the small white Totoro with white as well but I got bored. It's not too bad, but bad marks for lack of completion.

Comments

  1. They are adorable. I like the subtlety of using denim to appliqué denim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I figured the image would be visible enough to not need to make it pop out more.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…