Skip to main content

Getting Fit: The Pink Dress

Last year, when Mr T and I were doing Christmas shopping, I came across an amazing pink dress that I just had to buy on the spot.  The label - Damsel In A Dress - helped a lot too. I really love that name!

This was the dress - the Abby dress from the 2012 collection. It also has a jacket, and both have pockets! Besides pockets, the dress has a full lining and Hong Kong seam finishes.




I got this dress in December 2012 and it didn't get a lot of wear - I think I wore it 2 or 3 times in 2013. Here's the dress in October 2013 - the picture was taken in front of the Crooked Billet in Wimbledon:



But the last time I wore it I did notice that it didn't fit very well on my hips anymore. I don't think it was visible, but my movement was clearly impeded. If you look at the picture above, the pull lines can just about be seen.

So, as part of the new year's resolution, I'm setting a getting fit challenge: by the time this dress is out of storage, circa April, it should fit my hips as it did when I first bought it.

For this challenge, I'm not planning to use the scales to track progress. What I want is to work my muscles, and get rid of the fat - getting on scales will not help (muscle is heavier...). I will, however, use my measurements as a way to figure out where I am. Since both my measurement tapes are in storage (go figure), I will be using an innovative way to measure, by just keeping track of lengths of string. I guess I could also buy a tape measure if I remember next time I'm in a haberdashery store.

Last time I went on a weight loss journey I did what most people do: lots of cardio and eating a lot less. However, I discovered if don't like cardio that much and have not find a suitable replacement yet.

While I was looking for ideas about what I can do, I found this website called nerd fitness. The stuff on there sounds sensible but I'm not sure it will work. Still, I'm giving it a try for milestone one. Who knows, I might just find something I like doing!

The one thing that's clear is that this will take a lot of determination! No easy way out, I'll need to really work for it.

I'll be writing up my progress every weekend. It will be interesting if my chosen method - alternating days of bodyweight exercises and intervals will work. I'm giving it 3 months, and then will revert to cardio and the like if it doesn't work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…