Skip to main content

Craftsy Series: Crochet Lab (2)

Crochet Lab is a crochet class for absolute beginners, and takes people from "how to hold a crochet hook" all the way to "how to make a stuffed animal". This series tells the story of the class I watched and went back to most often on Craftsy, Crochet Lab by Vickie Howell.



I'm back with my second post on Crochet Lab. In this post, I'll concentrate on the two staples of crochet, the two lessons on single crochet and double crochet.

As I said before, I learnt all of this from scratch: I started the single crochet lesson without knowing anything. The teacher suggests to crochet a 21-stitch square swatch, but instead I decided to be adventurous: I bought a bunch of balls of yarn when I visited Zurich in October and proceeded to start crocheting a blanket.

I mostly did this because the class on chain making taught me that if I don't practice, I will stop with crocheting altogether. I saw the first few classes in March, then only followed up with the rest in October! Chain stitching was quite boring, and also pretty disappointing since it takes practice to get consistent results. I thought the swatch making would be boring too, so decided to go the blanket route instead.


I bought 5 balls of yarn for this: 2 multicolored and 3 in a deep purple. I crocheted a chain long enough to cover one person, then set to it.


The way I made it was to crochet the two outside areas in sc, and the central one on dc. That means I had sc-purple, sc-multi colored, dc-purple, sc-multi colored, sc purple. I finished everything with a yellow border. The most interesting thing about this blanket is that the dc layer is not actually dc. I completely messed up and misunderstood the instructions, meaning the central layer is a franken-dc. Now I know better, but it actually took making this pattern and watching the accompanying video to realize my mistake.

All in all, the two lessons taught valuable skills, and were certainly the lessons I referred back to most of the whole class. I did watch some videos on YouTube as well, mostly because for tablets and phones Craftsy isn't a great platform. Still, these are the lessons I keep going back to most often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…