Skip to main content

Learning to crochet.... One stitch at a time

I've been at this for a couple of weeks now, and I'm slowly getting there.

I have decided to practice single and double crochet from the Craftsy class by making a blanket! I didn't have a pattern, just 5 balls of yarn I impulse-bought last time I was in Z├╝rich... 3 of them are purple and have 150m/50g ball, two are multicolored and have 190m/50g ball. I'm still coming to turns with what that means now.

What I'm doing right now is purple-multicolor-purple-mc-purple, with the center purple in double crochet and the 4 outer ones(purple/mc x 2) in single crochet. I don't have a pattern, I just did a chain that looked long enough.

Mr T is saying this with be too small even for a single blanket... And I think that by now (on second mc, 60% done) I agree. I'm going to get some more yarn (maybe a gray or something) to make an outer edge, but as it looks now it might be too short. We will see. I have no way to source the exact yarn I am using until January so I might need to get creative.

I'll come back with a review on the Craftsy class, but so far I only went through the first few installments, but I have to say I'm not particularity impressed because all that stuff can be found on you tube. I am keeping my hopes up for the rest of the class though. I also haven't looked at the patterns provided with the class but I'm hoping those will be good too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…