Skip to main content

This is Vogue

Vogue 1357

This is Vogue 1357, which I got mostly for the top. Yesterday however, I managed to squeeze the skirt pattern pieces out of 1m red lace I bought at Goldhawk road. I didn't manage to fit in the waistband, and the center fold is I think not on the right grain, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Given this is lace, I cut the waistband out of silk organza - I will add petersham ribbon to the inside and applique lace cutouts from the lace leftovers on the outside. This should make the "not enough fabric" not that visible.

I did everything, including the zipper and french seams down the left side of the skirt. Then, when I wanted to start sewing the right side, I realized I sewed the back of the skirt in backwards.

So today I spent my commute unpicking french seams:


At least it was sunny. The good news is that this gives me the opportunity of actually buying the right color zipper. My mom is flying in tomorrow for the weekend but I'm hoping to get back to the skirt on Sunday after she leaves.

About the pattern:
* no muslin, I cut a straight 12, which I hope will fit me
* skirt front looked like the picture
* I'm planning on just cutting around the lace for the hem finish
* I'll make the blouse in silk chiffon
* then I'll go back to sewing with something easier, like cotton

Number of projects sewn this year but not blogged about: at least 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…