Skip to main content

Laurel, version 2

I'm still in a predicament with my SD card reader (hopefully it might be in my green backpack which is at work!), but I got Mr T to take these two pics of me today - I have more on the card but alas! no way to get them out. Glorious day in London, probably the only one this year!

This is version two of the Laurel pattern. I haven't blogged about any of the versions yet (2 dresses, 2 tops so far), and they almost all turned out well.



I made this as a trial for another dress which I wore to my friends wedding. The fabric I bought during Rachel's fabulous meet up in April. It's supposed to be cotton, but I wonder if it has some linen in it given how much it creases with wear.

I put an invisible zip in, which I unfortunately shortened too much - it ends just slightly below my waist, and that makes it a bit hard to put on/take off. I finished the seams with very lightweight fusible interfacing - this seemed like a good idea at the time, but actually the interfacing started to come off in the wash, so I guess there's a reason this isn't a real method of finishing seams? I'll take the interfacing out at some point and use an overlock stitch instead. The side seams need trimming anyway, they're all wavy!

This was my second version, and this pattern - let me tell you, it's a work in progress for me!

I had initially tinkered a bit with the shoulders as per this series from Threads and lowered the bust dart. For this version, I put the bust dart up a bit (I think it's about 1 inch lower than the original pattern now). After the dress was done, I took the shoulders in a bit (maybe 1cm, on the neckline?). I also removed quite a lot from the hips, as I always need to do with Colette patterns.



For the following version (v3, also a dress) I also took in about 1 or 1.5cm from the center back, tapering to nothing in about 5 centimeters. I find this particular adjustment was needed for all the versions for me.

For my next one I'll also make a swayback adjustment  - I think I need roughly 3cm but not sure yet. I most definitely have a sway back and need the adjustment.

All in all, a good summer dress. It's too bad I can't wear it more often!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…