Skip to main content

Getting to terms with fit

I don't usually do resolutions of any sort because I think things that are broken need to be fixed as soon as you become aware of them.

I have a fitting problem. I realized it when I made the third version of B6035, which is made of Thai silk and has yet to be blogged. It's actually M6035 - a quick Google search for B6035 reveals my blog posts and a knit pattern from an unknown pattern company.

So anyway, fitting problem. The shirt looks great on me but I cannot move without it running up. The back seems to be the issue as, funnily enough, when it does move up this is only apparent in the back - the front looks almost OK. This means I must wear it with a cardigan or not wear it at all. 

Wonky due to how I was standing
Front:


The truth is that I had some of these problems with the previous version too, but they are somehow exacerbated by a combination of fabric and longer sleeves.



Even though it looks like it has more fabric than it needs, it doesn't fit properly.

I haven't done anything about it yet because:
1. Despite making my third M6035 in August I wore it exactly twice that month and only went back to it in December. This I guess is partially due to the fitting issues but I deluded myself thinking that I had to wash it by hand (not true, delicates program + low dry work very well)
2. I haven't been sewing much since. I think that after that shirt I made a total of two garments in the rest of the year. Unfortunately, both of those have fitting issues: a skirt that is ever so slightly too tight, and a Grainline top with a lot of fabric pooling at the lower back.

So, when craftsy.com offered a class on fitting, I didn't even think twice: this spring I will learn how to fit clothes using their new class, Sew the Perfect Fit with Lynda Maynard.


I will post updates on how it is going and present neat little tips I pick up along the way.

___
It's actually M6035 - a quick Google search for B6035 reveals my blog posts and a knit pattern from an unknown pattern company.

Comments

  1. I think this is a great resolution and goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope it turns out well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Burda Spring Coat - Construction

Here I am back with the promised post on construction of my Burdasyle Spring Coat



For me, this coat was all about the embellishments: I had had my eye on the pattern for a while, I like that it's very simple so it was perfect for embellishing. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll note that I haven't yet gone back to making a notched collar after messing this one up (that's less fear than not having enough time). I also liked the opportunity to forego closures, which meant more time to play with all the pretty things I used :)

So, construction. The fabric is wool gabardine, and the lininig is silk satin. I interfaced this using the lightweight fusible weft interfacing from FashionSewingSupply - I wasn't really sure what to use, but upon testing multiple interfacings, this was was the best on this fairly light-weight fabric. I mostly used my Singer Tailoring book, and followed the "fusible" method: this means interfacing the whole front, t…