Skip to main content

Me-made musings

I know I haven't updated anyone in... must be 3 weeks at this point. I have been horribly busy at work - about 3 months ago, I decided to take on a role that has more responsibility, but it also came with longer hours while I'm learning. I'm still settling in, and maybe in the not so long future things will be back to normal. And I've been playing Diablo 3 on top of that (shhh).

However, I have been sewing. I have finished my shirt! No pictures of me wearing it, but I'll have Mr T take some when I wear it next time. This is the best garment I've made - I really took my time with it, and it paid off. I wore it to work and no one asked if it was me-made.

I have got some construction pictures though:






I used flat felled seams everywhere but the princess seams. For these, after sewing the seam, I turned the seam allowance under and stitched, after which I topstitched the turned allowance to the body of the blouse.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I've now got 2 me-made blouses that I wear regularly, both of which yet-unblogged about. I'll fix that in June. I pwomise.

Comments

  1. Those princess seams look beautiful! Can't wait to see a modeled pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! There was a lot of effort going into making them. I spent about 45 minutes on each side! I think it paid off though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…