Skip to main content

Next project: the shirt

The bare truth is that software engineers wear jeans and t-shirts. We even have a going joke among the team saying that if you're wearing a shirt you're changing job ladders from software engineer to project manager.

In fact, I've been wearing jeans and t-shirts all my life (so much so that my mom made several very direct remarks once I turned 22 or so). The only reason I'm interested in wearing anything else now is because I started sewing and I can make all these pretty things! Alas, there's no denying I have trouble feeling at ease in things other than jeans and t-shirts. If you need further proof of this - they're my goto items of clothing for any travelling.

I've come to accept that change, if it comes, will come slowly. As a result, I hereby declare I'll start sewing things that I will actually wear more than once a year: blouses, shirts, jackets. Maybe at some point jeans. Some skirts.

Since I'm already at ease with shirts, I've decided to start this process by making more of them. I currently own 3 shirts: one I love and it's the first thing I wear out of a new washing batch. Another one is ok but it's too short. And the third one is very fancy and needs cufflinks (20 pounds off amazon though, you can't beat that) - too fancy for wearing constantly truth be told.

I'll still make dresses, but I have decided to consider where I'll wear them before I start planning. For example, with all the bad weather lately, why make a summer dress? (Because I'm going to New York in 3 weeks, but shhhh).

I am giving myself 1 week (until next Friday!) to make a shirt. I have 1m of shirting fabric I bought in Bucharest - it's dark grey/violet striped. And I have McCalls 6035, which I got during a 50% off on the sew direct website (I chose it because it needs 1m of fabric!).



I'd like to make version A, possibly with the sleeve from version C. I love version A, but to me the office is a bit chilly (funny how no one else complains), so if I can fit the sleeves in the amount of fabric I have, I'm making them.


I really love the Asian-style collar, it's one of my favourite shirt designs!

Comments

  1. I have the same clothing 'issues' at work, I already feel overdressed the way I am and but when I compare my outfits to the ones I see on the me-made-may group, I feel underdressed. A cruel dilemma!
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this shirt turns out, the pattern looks promising with the princess seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it had princess seams when I bought it. I got it because it needs 1 yard and it has very good reviews. I do wonder how I will match my striped fabric on the princess seams :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…