Skip to main content

Pijama update

Yesterday evening, I finished putting together my pattern and then started cutting. I think I managed to cut the silk properly, although obviously it's very wavy. However, these are pijamas - I think I'll manage even if the measurements are a little off.



I slipped out for lunch today to get some white silk for the top, as I discovered 1m is not enough for shorts and top, although it would be enough for two tops or a top and a skirt... While scouring the John Lewis stuff, I found out this particular type of silk is, in fact, silk satin. I also took my time to touch other pure silks so now I know what to expect from habotai and dupioni as well. I am a bit upset that I forgot to look carefully at the chiffon, but there's always next time!

I was also looking for some fabric stabilizer but I couldn't find any. While looking for the stabilizer, I briefly considered getting a even feed foot for my machine (seeing how I'll be sewing a lot of silk soon), but at 30 pounds I ultimately decided against it. I checked singermachines.co.uk and they have the same price, shipping considered. I did not expect that it would be so expensive online as well - I suppose it must be the brand name.

On my checklist:
1. Make bias binding out of white silk/print silk.
2. Sew up bottoms
3. Cut & sew top

I'm quite apprehensive about the sewing process. My previous silk experiments all failed... miserably. However, now I know more about sewing so hopefully it will be better. I'm planning to use french seams throughout, and I'm quite curious how that will work on the crotch area. It's just a normal seam, right? I just need to be careful with leg-in-leg positioning!

Comments

  1. mmm silk pjs, that must be nice! I have something that looks like a singer walking foot that I don't use (my sewing machine is an old bernina). I wonder if you're interested, I could take a picture of it and you'd tell me if it's the right foot for your machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're nice, I spent 7 hours on them yesterday! French seams all around.

    Thanks for the offer. I did realize after Karen's post on Saturday that these are also called walking feet. Silly me - this opened a whole new world on Amazon and I ended up ordering a no-name for 9.95, which I thought was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…