Skip to main content

Holiday ... over, pijama sewing to ensue


Apologies for the lack of posts around here lately. I was enjoying the Easter break over in Romania. But now that I'm back in London, I'm ready for some sewing! I have sorely missed my sewing machine as all my fabric purchases happened at the beginning of the holiday!

I'm happy to announce that I'll be taking part in Karen's Pijama Sew Along. I actually added the button last week, but did not manage to get a post in.

I plan to make a cool, summer pijama, out of a silk fabric I bought in Bucharest. It was 95RON/m - that's just under 18 pounds according to The Google.


The print is a weird part-flower part-wave thing, and it's mostly red. I actually wanted a white-cherry-blossom type fabric, but I couldn't find it in silk so this was the next best thing. I did find a nice electric blue one, but it was the end of the bolt and the lady at the shop didn't want to cut 1m off the 2.10m she had left. Romanian fabric shops are so different from here!

The fabric is 1.60 in width, and I got 1m of it. I plan to make shorts and a small top. I was thinking of shortening the Simplicity pattern Karen linked to for the shorts, and use something I have in my stash for the top. Worst-case scenario, I can use the Sorbetto pattern for the top. The truth is I would like the trousers to be low-rise, so I might need to modify the pattern for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…