Skip to main content

pick, pick, unpick

Mr T and I play DnD with a group of people I work with. Last night, we were happily trying out new specs between the two of us when the DM snatched him away and kept talking to him for an hour and a half (result is we're meeting at a pub to do a side quest tonight!)

It looks like a bell!
This, of course, meant that I had that time to spare - so I spent about an hour unpicking my Pastille. Unpicking the skirt from the bodice was the most difficult thing, but then I decided to also unpick the lining. The reasoning for this was that the skirt itself was somewhat small in the waist, and the lining does not allow the corduroy to stretch naturally. Luckily I can get away with this because the skirt itself is long enough to be worn with a slip.

So now I've got a skirt that stretches, that needs some modifications:
1. I need to add a waist facing to it - I initially wanted to do a waist band, but that will have the same non-stretch problem as the lining.
2. Add an invisible zipper. Lapped would also work, but without a closing button, I feel an invisible is more suitable.
3. I also need to make sure that what happened with the rocker skirt doesn't happen here - I'll need to stitch the waist facing together with some non stretchy, removable material. Right now, I'm thinking tissue paper or interfacing. The idea is that I don't want it to stretch while I'm sewing it, but I want it to have room once I'm done, so the stabilizing material needs to be removable. Does anyone have a better idea?
4. Come to think about it, this means I'll need to do a zig zag stitch to make this plan work.
5. Last, but not least, I also want to take in the hips a bit, as there seem to be a good 2 inches of ease on each side, where 0.5-1 should be enough given the quality of the material.

Once the skirt is wearable, I want to do 2 other things that will make it look better:
1. Hand stitch the bottom pleats apart. Right now, they tend to work like an accordion and I need to keep pulling at them to be seen and not fold into each other in a completely irregular manner that makes the skirt look like whoever hemmed it was half asleep. I'm blaming this on the corduroy - I sincerely doubt cotton would have this problem.
2. Embellish with some sort of embroidery. Haven't quite decided what to do yet, but something rather abstract sounds enticing.

Comments

  1. Could you get away with zigzagging wide elastic to the right side of the waist and then turning it under? Or would that take too much height off the waist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't take too much height off the waist but I don't think it's necessary, since the material itself stretches quite nicely. However, you do make a good point - rather than adding a facing, I can simply turn the right side under - and doing this would actually be easier in this case.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…