Skip to main content

OWOP Day 6 and the skirt that's going straight to the bin

I'm very annoyed with the Rocker skirt. It's my fault though - I was the one who didn't line it and I made it so short.

Yesterday was a nightmare of constantly pulling at the skirt. I was so upset that not only did I not take a picture, but I did not even bring myself to writing this post yesterday.

Other than that, I managed to go through my fabrics and just keep the ones that I have enough of to make something, or scraps that can be used in a nice way. Everything else went into a box, and will probably end up in the bin. Which leaves me with this:



I don't have that much fabric. I have 3 bits of lightweight knit, leftovers from my first Rooibos (enough to make a top of some sort), my second Rooibos (enough to make a coat), and the real skirt (enough to make a dress). I also have some green linen (enough for a Sorbetto-like top) and some white cheesecloth-like material (but not actually cheesecloth) that I plan to use to make a traditional Romanian blouse called "iie". I also have about 3 meters of this fabric that was gifted to me on my birthday and that's turning into B6582 before June... but nothing much else.

This is actually not bad, as it will give me more choice.

Comments

  1. Hey Laura
    Nice to meet you last night. Just seen in your profile that you work at Google. My brother used to work there - Joe Walnes - dunno if you knew him? He may have just left when you arrived...
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Burda Spring Coat - Construction

Here I am back with the promised post on construction of my Burdasyle Spring Coat



For me, this coat was all about the embellishments: I had had my eye on the pattern for a while, I like that it's very simple so it was perfect for embellishing. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll note that I haven't yet gone back to making a notched collar after messing this one up (that's less fear than not having enough time). I also liked the opportunity to forego closures, which meant more time to play with all the pretty things I used :)

So, construction. The fabric is wool gabardine, and the lininig is silk satin. I interfaced this using the lightweight fusible weft interfacing from FashionSewingSupply - I wasn't really sure what to use, but upon testing multiple interfacings, this was was the best on this fairly light-weight fabric. I mostly used my Singer Tailoring book, and followed the "fusible" method: this means interfacing the whole front, t…