Skip to main content

OWOP and what I'm sewing now

I can't believe my last post was 10 days ago! I didn't mean for this to happen, but so much has happened since then! I got some very good news from work which have kept me occupied for days - they only take effect at the end of June, but it's still something that is very good for my career and I'm looking forward to.

I haven't been idle on the sewing front either: I finished the skirt refashioned from the Pastille dress. It's rather bell-shaped, and it is a "bit" large in the waist, but frankly that's nothing I can fix. I might make a belt for it (I was thinking of either following Tilly's tutorial here or going out and buying a belt kit). It does feel comfortable, however, so I'm happy with it for now. I haven't got any good pictures to share unfortunately. I've taken a couple yesterday, but they're not great.



I've also decided to participate in Tilly's One Week One Pattern project, with self-made skirts. The only pattern I've made twice is the Colette Rooibos, but frankly I can't call that my favourite pattern. Given that I've now made 2 "practically" self-drafted skirts (yes, both from patterns, but heavily modified patterns at that), and I'm making another one this weekend, that should give me enough to go on for the whole week. Come to thing about it, I've got 3 self-drafted skirts, but one is very summery so not really fit to wear in this weather.

The skirt I'm making today (or tomorrow?) is going to be based on my modified Meringue pattern, and it will have a front pleat. I'd actually like to make a couple of versions of this: one with one pleat, one with two pleats. But I'd rather not get ahead of myself at this point. Finishing one would be an achievement :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…