Skip to main content

I've made a proper skirt!

Because I took my time and I measured and I pressed and I did everything right - it looks great! Or at least I think it looks great, which is all that's needed really.  I don't have very good pictures though. Sorry.


This is another interpretation of the Meringue from the Colette Sewing Book. Still no scallops I'm afraid - I lengthened the skirt by 8 math squares - about 4 cm? The resulting skirt is a wee bit longer than I prefer wearing nowadays, hitting at knee length. Next time I'll take 3 squares off so it will hit right above the knee.

The skirt has a waistband and is quite a bit longer than the pattern. I recopied the pattern, and slashed at the top to make the waistband.



As for waist positioning, it's right on my waist. It has quite a bit of ease there so I'll be able to - you know - eat, but it's not wide enough for me to position it any lower, which is good!


The fabric is wool. I think it is anyway. I picked it up in Romania over Christmas break, and I still have enough to make a small jacket. It is a very soft wool, it doesn't weigh much at all. This is not a winter skirt! But it is perfect for this weather.



I was going to line it, and actually cut and sewed the darts, but in the end I didn't attach it. This was a combination of me realizing the skirt it both long enough to wear with my slip and not as see through as I had thought it would be, and forgetting to add it when I was closing the waistband and not wanting to unpick again.



And a better picture:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…