Skip to main content

Threads magazine in the UK

This is what I picked up this morning at the WHSmith in Victoria.

It is an American Threads magazine. I've been meaning to get my hands on one for ages, but short of begging my coworkers to get one for me when they travel to the States there's nothing much to do.

Not any more though :) this is definitely an import since the subscription flyers inside all quote US dollars.
I'm happy with the find, and can only hope I'll find future issues too.


  1. You could always try subscribing...? I find threads fairly often here (BNE) at the bigger newsagents in the CBD... Should be easier in Melbourne, I understand y'all are much more civilized there than here. ;)

    1. It's the first time I saw it in the UK, and I regularly go through the whole sewing section. I've read most of the UK-available magazines but I can't say I was impressed by any of them. I always give magazines 2 chances though, and deliberation on the first issue of Threads is not out yet. I might take out a subscription if I like it well enough.

  2. I chose to subscribe as it's not available at all in France.. and it's not that expensive (cheaper than Burda magazines)

    1. It's about the same price here in the UK. Sewing magazines seem to be somewhere in the 4 to 5 pound area (4.25 to 4.75 actually).

      I plan to buy the next issue and then decide. I have been fairly disappointed so far with these magazines, although Threads does seem to be somewhat better in quality.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.

Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker


1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.

The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:

Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:

Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:

I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…