Skip to main content

I'm sewing... really, I am

However, I am sewing with knits, and not doing a great job. The past few nights have been occupied with making a t-shirt for Mr T - it was never going to be more than a house t-shirt, but it is quite disastrous. I have no idea how not to get it to curl up:


If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd really appreciate it. This neckline turned out quite daft because I think I did something wrong with the notches - I matched them up (as described in the instructions and in the pictures), but the back was too tight and the front too lose. Now I've worked from this pattern before and didn't have this problem, so this is one of two things:
1. I didn't follow instructions last time, and matched notches to arm seams
2. The fabric is waaay too different and should be treated as such (but ... how?!?!)

However, the curling of the fabric was visible last time as well - so I'm definitely doing something wrong there. The one good thing that I did with this T-shirt was the hems: I used twill tape.

I'm sure there is a standard way of doing it but the internetz didn't help a lot, so I just did what I thought would work... and it did. BTW, this is an outcome of the Sew Grateful week - one of the giveaways had the Renfrew top, together with materials to make it - that's when I read the description for the pattern and figured out that using twill tap might make the hems look nicer (the previous version of the t-shirt had curly hems as well!). I know it doesn't look like it, but when Mr T tried the t-shirt on, there was pure hem bliss to be seen only! Lovely:


In parting, I'm leaving you with a picture of what I'm sewing this weekend:


This is just the muslin and it's not sewn yet, but can you guess what it is? Actually, let me make that a giveaway. I will give away a sewing-related surprise to whoever can guess. Entries accepted all weekend, and I will pick the winner on Monday whenever I get a chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…