Skip to main content

Eureka!

This is a longish post about sewing magazines. You might want to skip :)

Remember how happy I was to find Threads magazine in the UK? Well, that's not the only sewing magazine I sampled this month.

Readers in the UK are probably familiar with the sewdirect website. They are basically the English leg of McCall's. They even have a "club", similar to the BMMV (?) club in the States, which comes with a magazine subscription and half price for the Vogue, McCall's and Butterick patterns. Now, I don't order that many patterns so I didn't get the membership last year, but this January they had a 2-month "taster"  for 2 quid and I wanted to order a new pattern so I got the membership. It's not actually 2 months, more like "2 months since Jan 1st". It actually expires next week if I'm not mistaken. But I digress.

The taster came with 2 issues of Sew Today (a work colleague said it would have been funny had it been called "Sew Yesterday"), the first of which I received with my patterns. I was very surprised to see Peter's article in this magazine! Proof if you don't believe me (sorry about quality, I'm typing this in the airport):


OK I take that back. I was convinced Peter's article was in Threads, but it's not! It's in Vogue Patterns which kind of makes the UK print make sense. Huh. This whole post is kind of meeeh then. I'll just leave you with a picture of Zurich then. I took a bunch of pictures for Mr T, but I bet he doesn't know what's up with this random building corner:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…