Skip to main content

The Rocker Skirt

There was a point - probably around hemming, day 2 - when I really thought I wouldn't finish this skirt. I'm glad I did - it is completely me!


I've worn it out once, to work on Thursday (as pictured above). I really do think it needs a lining. It just has a waist facing right now and I think I'll attach the lining to the facing, if I ever get to it. Although truth be told, it does need to get done - the skirt is far too short for me to wear comfortably otherwise, so if I don't do it, I'll only be able to wear it when it's warm enough to skip the tights. By which time, of course, it will also be too warm for corduroy.


This skirt is really pushing my comfort level on shortness. I think the last time I wore something this short was when I was a teenager! However, it's much longer than those "fashionable" blazers that are worn over tights nowadays and barely cover one's derriere - so I figure I'm still pretty decent wearing it.

The hem took two days in the end. I had to turn the zig zagged bit in, and then attach the lace on top - attaching the lace directly looked fairly messy and unfinished. Turning in was the difficult part, as the corduroy had stretched quite a bit during the zig zag process and I did my best to get rid of the wave effect that resulted. I would have done it in 1 day, but by the time I was 3/4s into turning, my hand was aching quite badly, so I stopped. The lace went much easier the next day.

In all, I hand stitched around the hem 3 times - once for turning in, and twice for the lace. Here's a closeup of what the lace looks like - the need to hand stitch it twice is somewhat obvious after one stitches the bottom part: a gap forms in the "peak" area of the lace between the skirt and the lace, so it needs to be tacked down.



As I had predicted, I'm slightly annoyed I didn't add front pockets. They were missed on Thursday when I was obsessing about the skirt rolling up because it has no lining!

I would totally make this again - I'm so glad I copied the pattern onto freezer paper :) Next time it will not take me 2 weeks to get it done.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…