Skip to main content

Oh wow Oh wow

I just measured myself today, in preparation for the dress form - and because, while going through various scraps of paper in my living room yesterday, I came upon a list of measurements taken a while ago. I think it was in August, when I was trying to make a swimming suit for my holiday. I lost 1" in the bust area, 1,5" on my waist and 1" on the hips, which makes me a size 0 Colette for bust and hips, and a size 8 for waist. Yes, I have a rather rectangular shape.

With this information, I checked the sewing book for the Meringue skirt - the finished measurement would have 3" of ease in the hips, which will very likely be too much as the corduroy I'm using will be stretching width-wise. I will trace the pattern tonight on greaseproof paper (American English: freezer paper) and see how I get on, but honestly I doubt with the stretch corduroy the skirt will need more than 1" of ease, if that. I'll go with 1" initially and see how I fare.

I also want to make a croquis and add it to my new pretty notebook that I picked up for a ridiculous amount of money at WH Smith last week. But hey it's worth it, I'll have something to doodle on (I promise I am not trying to advertise Logitech products! There's only so much room on my desk at work though). I also need to start thinking about Sew Weekly challenges. This week caught me a bit unaware, but I'm seriously considering making next week's if there's time at the weekend. Mr T and I are planning a shopping trip + overnight stay at friends in Kent for the weekend so it might not happen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…