Skip to main content

Bag reorg

This has actually been a slow brewing project. It started with me wanting a proper enclosure for female-only accessories so I wouldn't have to hide everything in my palm when I go to the bathroom at work. So yesterday I checked to see exactly what's in my bag.

Cue bag (I love this bag):



Cue contents:


Decide what the minimum necessary items are:


OK the yellow pills aren't really necessary. I use them maybe once a year? They're for your tummy - I eat a lot of spicy food. :)

Then arrange everything in neat piles:



Decide you need 3 holders. Make one:




And then stop because you're too annoyed with self at what it turned out like. Although the kitty on the zipper is cute.

Yes yes. I messed up the inside. Had to hand stitch the holes... hand stitched so poorly that the zipper occasionally catches the lining. I suck. Booh. You'd think after making several of these last year I'd learn. But nooooo. Anyway. I fixed one of the problems - the objects which are rarely used but sorely missed if they're not in the bag (motion sickness bracelets for example) - you might recognize the motion sickness pouch I make a few months ago.

I need to make at least one more for holding the afore mentioned pads & such. I'd like it to have a zipper on 3 sides, an outer pocket (for the lime-coloured daily ones) and the inside needs to be separated in two. I think I can make it in the same corduroy and I still have some of that lace for decoration. Oh my that corduroy went far didn't it!  That's if I don't screw it up again of course.

I might make a third one for pen/lip gloss etc but not sure - almost pushing it. Even considering that I make it, I will need to move an impressive 6 items from one bag to another:
1. wallet
2. eyeglass case
3. rarely used items pouch
4. pads pouch
5. random-other-implements pouch
6. "ideas" notebook

Not being a person who changes their bags that often, I wonder if 6 items to track are the norm or not. Seems like a lot, but I can't reasonably break it down even further without this becoming somewhat ridiculous. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…