Skip to main content

What I've sewn today

Believe it or not, getting this far has taken all day. I've only stopped now because I ran out of white embroidery thread.

The original is below. I decided to invert the colors on the applique - the T-shirt itself is blue and blue on blue would not have worked very well. I still need to fill in the darker lines and the letters. The darker lines should be pretty straight forward, but the letters, however, I have now idea how I'll make - the first attempt did not work out very well unfortunately.

I've been embroidering  on the same fabric as the T-shirt this is for - which means it is a knit. I've used interfacing, but it's been quite difficult to sew through, it moved all ways. I did think after I started that I really should have used a medium-weight cotton and embroidered in two colors. But now I know. And so do you!

Anyway, since I am actually out of thread, I will go back to my napkin basket tomorrow. It should go fairly fast, I only need to sew everything up. I'm planning to also make a tutorial so stay tuned!

After I'm done with that, I'll make an eye glass case out of leather. I'm planning on adding some nice embroidery touches to that too.

In other news, Mr T and I finished all Christmas shopping in one afternoon yesterday. This is a great relief :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…

Mending with embroidery

Life with baby is lovely, but there's not much time for sewing. I did manage to make one shirt, and I got started on another one (also a shorts muslin for my dad!), but it's pretty slow going.

This is actually a post about craftiness and mending stuff rather than sewing a garment. I buy ready to wear from time to time, especially for the more flowy/looser style of tops which I like wearing but don't really enjoy sewing as I don't find them challenging enough. Still, buying ready to wear can sometimes have its downfalls, as was with this top: it's a very lightweight viscose, but after wearing it for a while it became a bit threadbare in the front. I kept it on my dress form for months - from June to September, when I finally decided what I wanted to do to mend it.


I always figured embroidery would probably be the best option, and I pinned a lot of stuff that I liked. As an aside, I don't normally use pintrest, since I don't see the purpose in just pinning ra…