Skip to main content

Needles for the beginner sewer


After my recent debacle with the wrong needles, I figured there might be other numpties like me out there so a tutorial about choosing the right type of needle is in order. I've actually gone out and researched this one.


Needle type

You basically have 3 big types of needles:

1. Needles for woven fabrics
These needles are sharp and can pierce fabrics. Singer lists these as type "2020".
2. Needles for knit fabrics
These needles are also called "ballpoint" needles and are designed to split the strands of fabric. Singer lists these as type "2045".
3. Needles for leather
These needles are sturdy in order to pierce leather pieces. Singer lists these as type "2032".

Remember that the little needle carton will say what the needle is for!

Needle width

And you have several types of widths, from very narrow to very thick. The thicknesses, from narrow to thick, are:

1. 70/90 - these are used for very lightweight fabrics (organza)
2. 80/11 - for lightweight fabrics (voile, lawn)
3. 90/14 - these are used for normal weight (normal cotton)
4. 100/16 - these are used for heavy weight fabrics (coating, heavy wools)


Other needles

There are some types of wovens which need even sharper than usual needles. Think denim. My denim needles came in size 100/16. Singer denim needles are type "2026"

Twin needles are used for pintucks and decorative stitches. The width between the two needles varies. Make sure you don't use a zig zag with them, they will break. Singer twin needle types are type 2025



Further reading

Here's a very thorough link about Singer needles. It has more detail than my basic introduction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…