Skip to main content

Napkin Basket Tutorial

I've posted this over at the Crafty Christmas Club a few days ago as well.

The problem I've always had with napkin holders is that the napkins tend to fall (or rather, not stand upright) when very few are left. That, and the fact that I couldn't find a napkin holder to buy in any of the big superstores.

I've decided to make napkin baskets this Christmas. This is the finished result:



It's a fairly simple design.  You'll need two measurements:

1. size of the targeted napkin (usually a square with width measurement only)
2. basket height

To make your pattern:

The pattern will consist of three pieces.

PIECE A:
The first piece represents your overall basket.
1. draw on a piece of math paper the napkin
2. draw 1cm (2/5") all around
3. draw a 4 rectangles representing the height; extend the rectangles to the corners (this will result in 4 squares on the corners)
4. draw the seam allowance all around the resulting rectangle. I used about 1cm (2/5")
5. using a glass or other round tool, round off the 4 corners

PIECE B:
The second piece represents the napkin. It will be a square with the side of the width measured above (width of the napkin)

PIECE C:
The third piece represents the sides. It will be a rectangle of width of the napkin x height of the basket.

I made my 1st and 2nd pieces on the fold

Cutting list:
2x PIECE A, main fabric
2x PIECE A, interfacing
1x PIECE B, something stiff (batting, felt)
4x PIECE C, something stiff (batting, felt)

To make the basket:

First, arrange the stiff pieces on the wrong side of one of the the main fabric pieces according to the pattern.



Then, add the interfacing and press according to the manufacturer's instructions:



Interface the second main fabric piece as well.

Take the two interfaced pieces of fabric and, right side together, start stitching on the seam allowance. Make sure to leave a bit unstitched so you can turn over later.


Once you're done, notch the corners:


Then turn through the opening you left. After turning, make sure to press.



Once you've done with the turning and pressing, topstitch around the edges:


At this point, the corners should look like this put against a light:

What you want to do is bring one edge against the one next to it:


And stitch next to the stiff fabric. Mare sure this stitching is done at a 90 degree angle. You can use your fingers to feel the edge:

Once you've done this for all 4 corners, you will need to edge stitch along the bottom sides. This is done to ensure the basket will stand properly on an even surface. This is how you need to position the basket sides. Make sure the angles are all at 90 degrees:



You're done! My finished basket has a festive spirit, it's all red!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…