Skip to main content

Mulled wine

It's so cold in London these days that it sometimes seems it will never get warmer. What better way to make the cold go away than with some mulled wine?



It actually turned out so well I figured I'd share the recipe. This will make 2 cups of about 240ml each (roughly 1 pint?).



Ingredients:
1 pint red wine
2 whole cloves
1/2 stick of cinnamon
sugar or honey, to taste
black peppercorns (2-3)

Method:
Pour the wine in a suitable recipient.

Add cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns.

Put on the hob. Start mixing in the sugar, one teaspoon at the time. Add one teaspoon, then stir (at the same time, the wine will get warmer). Make sure to taste it often - add as much sugar as you want. I didn't add measurements because I find they depend on a variety of things, including but not limited to sugar type, wine type, day of the week, outside temperature and so on. You get my drift :)


When you're happy with sugar levels, stay near the wine and keep stirring every once in a while. Wine tends to swell up a lot when it reaches the boiling point, so you want to be around to prevent a messy kitchen. After a while, the pot will start foaming up. This is good.

When it's boiling (or very close to it) take it off the heat. Pour it in cups. Serve immediately!





Notes:
1. White wine also works if you prefer it that way. I personally like to buy dark dark reds. Think Cabernet or similar.
2. I buy relatively cheap wine (under 5GBP/bottle) for this. I will generally look for half price or similar offers that will take a wine to 4ish pounds. I've heard people say that better wine makes better mulled wine, but so much of the wine itself is lost with boiling and adding spices that I can't bring myself to do it.
3. Honey tends to be sweeter (at least in my opionion). I generally put in less honey than sugar.
4. Most recipes I saw in books call for lemon zest and bits of fruit. For me, this is the mark of bought mulled wine - I don't like the bits at all. Your mileage may vary though.
5. Instead of black peppercorns, I used something called "long pepper"  this time around, which I picked up from New York. I quite like it, the aroma it gives is more subtle than using just normal peppercorn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…