Skip to main content

Fabric shop in Brixton

I was going to post about my new Rooibos, but I have no decent photos of it yet - I'll be taking some tonight at home, but in the meanwhile, I'll post something about the new fabric shop I found at Brixton.

My big problem is finding good quality cheap fabric (not an oxymoron!). Both Walthamstow and Goldhawk Road are really far away from both work and home (I need to make a special trip to go there), and the central locations (Berwick St stores, Macculoch & Wallis, John Lewis on Oxford St) are, as Karen says, a bit too expensive to keep buying everything there - not to mention slightly out of my way, even though not as much as the other two mentioned.

Brixton, however, is on the way home so I can just hop off the train and do my shopping. I take a train between Victoria and Sydenham Hill every day and one day I noticed a fabric shop while the train was moving out of Brixton station. I quite excitedly looked at the website for Simply Fabrics as the train was approaching Herne Hill, but unfortunately there's nothing much there.

So I resolved to go check it out, and it turns out that most of their stuff is nice AND quite cheap. Since I wanted a Rooibos in wool to wear during winder, I actually bought 3.5m of this fabric: it's grey with quite a visible pattern on one side and black with not-so-visible a pattern on the other. I used the grey for the Rooibos (piping made from the black side), but the coat might be black, depending:


I doubt I even used 2m of this fabric - I'd like to use the rest to make a winter coat - I need to find a pattern I like though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…