Skip to main content

Colette Sewing Handbook

I've had this on pre-order from the UK amazon website since Sarai announced the book back in August. Back then, they were going to ship it at the end of November. Then this date kept moving forward and forward.

Finally, when I was in NY I found the book itself in a Barnes & Noble for $30. After considering it for about half an hour, I finally decided not to buy it, and just wait for Amazon to deliver. The price difference was almost 2 pints of real ale (I measure small sums in pints).

However, a mere 2-3 days after I made this decision, amazon mailed me once again to delay the book even further:

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Sarai Mitnick "The Colette Sewing Handbook: 5 Fundamentals for a Great Sewing Experience"
Estimated arrival date: December 14 2011 - December 22 2011


Booh! I really wanted to get to play with it before I left for Christmas holidays (I don't have a sewing machine in Bucharest!). I had basically written this book off before January, when I got a new mail late yesterday evening:

Your Amazon.co.uk order has dispatched!

Yay. I hope it will arrive on Monday or Tuesday, which will give me all day next Sunday to play. wehee.

I'm going Christmas shopping with Mr T today. We don't actually have many things to pick up (most shopping will be done in the airport), but there are some items that need special care. I plan to make a trip to John Lewis to pick up some embroidery thread. I want to make two things:

  • an embroidered leather eye glass holder (for me). If that works out well, I'll make something similar for my mum
  • a Laughing Man applique for Mr. T. I promised I would make him one a while ago and kept forgetting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…