Skip to main content

Bracelet holder

I haven't been posting - mostly because I haven't been crafting anything and I was away on a business trip and and and and...

After I left home for Heathrow two weeks ago I realized I had, once again, forgotten my motion sickness bracelets. Since I cannot possibly take an 8 hour flight without them, and I had a tight schedule (get stuff from work, get to the airport), I once again had to buy an extra pair in the Boots at terminal 3. Booh. This is my 3rd pair. Boots really is making a profit from my forgetfulness.

I decided that upon coming back I will make something pretty to hold them in with the hope that I won't forget it any more. When I got my promotion at the beginning of November (yay!) I went to MacCulloch & Wallis  and spent a fortune on some real leather. I wanted to make a nice laptop cover for Mr. T. The laptop cover didn't turn out so nice, so I doubt he'll ever take it out of the house, and I was left with more than half of the leather. It's enough to make myself a skirt if I wanted to! (But I won't). I decided to use some of it for my holder. Actually I ended up using some scraps from the laptop cover for it.

Half a day and a very painful thumb later, this is what I have:


The front doesn't look too special. It has a simple fastner.


I made a simplish flower from the turned-over leather (what is the English word for that - suede?) Unfortunately I couldn't hide the stitches so I tried to at least make them pretty enough.

And here is hot it looks opened. I quite like it actually, although I suppose future iterations will look nicer. I thought about making one for my mom to hold coins in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Pregnancy Pattern Round Up

Whilst I have been sewing these past 9 months, I haven't been posting much because in the past I was not massively keen on reading about people's pregnancy patterns. However, at some point I realized that I'm wrong and having some review out there would be useful, so decided to do a round up post about what I've learnt works and doesn't work in terms of this kind of sewing. This is a very long post :)

I had a fairly easy pregnancy, so I was perfectly positioned to have good results with sewing, which is great since maternity clothing is either decently priced and of bad quality, or expensive. Dime for dime, you get more out of non-maternity ready to wear.

Some lessons I learnt along the way:
Some non-pregnancy patterns will work for pregnancy. Sort of. As bump size increases, in the best case scenario you will get the mother of all pooling at the back, as if a gazillion-inch swayback is required (but isn't!). If that doesn't bother you, you're fine; otherw…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…