Skip to main content

Vogue 8558 - DONE!

Not only done, but I'm wearing it to work today. I even took pictures (fairly grainy pictures):


You'll ask why the blouse is actually in a different fabric from the one which I was using in my previous blog posts:

The answer is because jersey is horrible, horrible and that finished blouse looked really ugly. I cut the pattern again from stretch poplin (8% spandex, 92% cotton).

Once I decided the stripy jersey was a no go, it took me very little to actually sew this other one up. Maybe 3-4 hours in total - including cutting? I didn't finish the raw edges yet and I also didn't end up attaching the sleeves I did cut from the fabric. I will finish the edges tonight. As for the sleeves - who knows? I'm still fairly undecided.

Overall, it turned out quite well. The blouse itself is less fitted than the version I made back in May or June. However, it does feel right and I can easily get it on - although that might be the result of the stretchiness of the fabric.

It does look a bit weird in the front, but I'm hoping that's just because I didn't iron as I went along. Hopefully once I iron it after the next wash it will look better. The other bit I don't like is that there is some extra material at the back of the neck, as visible in this photo:


Luckily though, I've got long hair so it's covered up most of the time. I suppose I should adjust the pattern, but I've got no idea how to do it. I should remove a good 2-3 inches from the back. I'll try to baste it out and see what it looks like.

This pattern does look pretty well on me. I wonder if I'll be courageous to tackle it again in the future. I'd like a version with sleeves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Burda Spring Coat - Construction

Here I am back with the promised post on construction of my Burdasyle Spring Coat



For me, this coat was all about the embellishments: I had had my eye on the pattern for a while, I like that it's very simple so it was perfect for embellishing. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll note that I haven't yet gone back to making a notched collar after messing this one up (that's less fear than not having enough time). I also liked the opportunity to forego closures, which meant more time to play with all the pretty things I used :)

So, construction. The fabric is wool gabardine, and the lininig is silk satin. I interfaced this using the lightweight fusible weft interfacing from FashionSewingSupply - I wasn't really sure what to use, but upon testing multiple interfacings, this was was the best on this fairly light-weight fabric. I mostly used my Singer Tailoring book, and followed the "fusible" method: this means interfacing the whole front, t…