Skip to main content

The apron



I finally finished the apron. I picked up 1 yard of this fabric this summer in California - it was in the remains basket in one of the fabric shops.. The selvage says "Suburbia Screen Print D#10917 www.robertkaufman.com".

I thought it would be perfect for an apron:


In our house cooking is split. Mr T does savoury things and I make sweets. So we needed either two aprons or one apron that fits both of us. I went for the second option without realizing this fabric is in fact really pink...

To cut the fabric, I eyeballed a curve between the top and the middle section. I don't know what made me do this. A straight line would have been a better choice. But what's done is done :) I used a blue fabric for pockets and I also used it for _quite_ugly_ makeshift bias tape. It's not real bias tape and it didn't end up looking great but it works for an apron.

To make it fit both of us I used buttons on top. I put the first pair on top where you would expect and the second pair a bit lower to fit me as well. The neck strap has two buttons holes: one made with the machine and another one "just in case" which was made by attaching the blue fabric to the cooking fabric on the sides only - the top is left opened and thus the buttons can go through.

I finished the straight lines with turned over seams, similar to jeans. I wasn't sure how wide to make them so I just sewed where I thought it would work. I think they're a bit wide, but with the contrasting thread it doesn't look too bad.


I didn't hem the apron - I left the bottom selvage. I might in the future as it is a bit long for me.

This is what it looks like on Mr T:


And on me:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…