Skip to main content

The Zipper Project


Mr T got me this amazing leather bag about 3 Christmases ago(it's upside down in the pic):

However, the zipper started giving away and I didn't fix it when I saw it(I only started sewing in May), so this happened:

I went to these mending guys in London Victoria(big chain, name escapes me) and they quoted me £50 to replace it - which I thought was fairly expensive, at more than 50% of the bag price (digressing, I wonder if one could buy something similar for this money in London). Then I went to Romania for Easter and didn't make the time to repair it. Silly me.

This weekend a good friend visited from Vienna and she insisted that she should try to mend it there as it would be cheaper. I wasn't convinced but it did urge me to try and make this a fall project.

So, I took good look at construction yesterday evening. The zipper has two seams: one for the leather and one for the lining:
















I think I can do the new lining seam by machine and I can use the existing holes to hand sew the zipper to the leather exterior. I'm a bit worried about the endings but they don't seem particularly complicated in construction.















Hopefully it should be OK. I'm planning to go to MacCullough and Wallis to get some proper thread and a sturdy zipper. I was thinking of this for the thread:
http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/Coats%20Speciality%20Threads!9516
The zipper will be something like this: http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/Zips!38/36












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…