Skip to main content

Hand Embroidery 101

I bought Doodle Stitching - Fresh and Fun Embroidery for beginners last week from Amazon. I read it on the train and the went and bought some embroidery thread to try it out. I wanted to add it to the denim belt.

So all said and done, I got the floss out, cut the denim pieces and then started embroidering. I copied (freestyle) partial designs from the book. What I can say is that hand embroidery is fun! It was great to just do this and let my mind wander. However, it does need practice to get things even. My embroidery isn't even. Yet :) My stitching lines weren't straight either when I started sewing.

At the end, I had 4 designs on the belt piece: three are from the book and one started as something from the book but evolved into something else.

First, I did this circle thing, which was one of the last designs in the book. I removed one of the circles because I didn't think there would be enough room for it:
Flower-acorn thing

I thought this looked great after I did it, but at some point I realized the belt would be worn the other way around I removed the stem.

Then, I did one of the initial pieces from the book, a tiny bird-thing. I didn't actually draw this one, just kinda went along. It didn't turn up very well. It will mostly be hidden away by the belt buckle:

Singing bird, with branch. I left the musical note out.

Then, I did a leaf. This was from one of the middle designs in the book. It was pretty straight forward. I just wish my stitches were more even:

Simple leaf

And last, a tiny flower. This started as a pieces of one of the book designs but I thought it was too "empty" so I added more:

This was a simple flower in the book. It's abstract non-art now :)

It was a pretty cool afternoon. Belt writeup coming up soon too.

As a side note, I'm not very happy with how my pictures are turning out. I have to ask Mr T to teach me how to do it properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…