Skip to main content

Edith the pincushion

I gave my best with the skirt but it just didn't work out. So I started on the pincushion I mentioned a few days ago. I'm going to call it Edith:

Edith

I started off by drafting a "pattern". I took a normal envelope and cut it off. Then I used a large candle to trace some curved lines between the middle of each section. The pattern is too big. I wanted Edith to be made of 6 parts but I stopped at 4 because it already was too big. After I cut the pattern I started cutting the pieces out of fabric:
I ended up using 3 of these pieces and one of the applique pieces

Then I did the applique parts (which I'll write up in a future post). Then I did the gathering. I cut two pieces of cloth, and machine-basted one line on each:


Then gathered. I only use one line of basting for gathering and I find it works out just fine. I'm not exactly sure what the benefit of basting a second line is. I would love to hear your opinion on it though!

Then I added the gathered blue fabric between the white fabric and the lined fabric and pinned, then sewed:

I continued to add the lined pieces of fabric and then added the other gathered fabric.


In the end, I kept half of one of the sides open and stuffed it with remnants of fabric:


I didn't buy any toy stuffing for this project so I had to use what I had on hand. Still, it worked out pretty well. It does need a lot of scraps though! Once that was done, I hand stitched the opening and added a button on top. This is what it looked like:



I didn't like it very much so I made a hand-band for it as well. This I made out of the denim trousers I plan on using for that belt. Then I hand sewed the band to the pincushion and this is what resulted::

Back

Completely open

Closed

On my hand
I'm quite happy with it but I'm still left with two applique bits that I'm not sure what to do with yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…