Skip to main content

The Denim Belt

My somewhat-embroidered denim belt is done:


The belt buckle I bought was 1 1/4 inches wide. Since I can easily stitch with a 1/4 seam allowance (my machine, believe it or not, does not have a proper line drawn for the 5/8 allowance - I find it a bit big anyway so when I can I use a smaller allowance I do so), I added 1/4 all around.

Then, I  made sure one edge of my old jeans was straight and I marked it properly with tailor's chalk:

Then I cut 4 strips (the trousers were not long enough just for 2 of them):


Then I sewed them two by two at the end. You can see I wasn't very straight on one of the lines here:


Then I sewed them, two by two, right sides together and left one of the short edges open:


Then when this was done, I turned everything right-side out. That took forever, it's much easier with two ends open.

Then I added the belt buckle. Well, actually MrT did, it was quite difficult to get it on due to the thickness given by seam allowances. So much so in fact that I plan on using it the other way around: Keep the embroidered bit always in and add/remove the other end. The embroidered end can still be used for tightening it, I'd just rather not take it out:


Fearing the same thickness problem on the other side  once I stitched the seams closed, I just zigzagged the other end. It won't be visible anyway. The good news is that the zigzagging worked fine and it is thin enough to easily pass through:


So there you have it. My denim belt is completed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

Vogue 1350: fitting and adjustments

I had another post prepared, but I thought I'd write this up now, even without pictures - before I forget what I did. :) I recently made Vogue 1350, if you follow me on instagram (@auxetically) you will have seen construction photos. This is a Rachel Comey pattern - I really like these patterns, they all turn out very well for me! Here is the line drawing for reference:



Despite the line drawing, this pattern is supposed to have a raised waist. I was very pleasantly surprised to see petite lines on the pattern sheet (yay). Here's my finished dress on the dress form:



I made a muslin of the bodice only, in size 14 - my measurements take me between 14 and 16 on a Vogue, but I had the pattern version with the 12-14, so 14 it was. Measurement wise, this dress was spot on - I had to make extra adjustments where I would have needed the bigger pattern size.

The petite line removed 1" out of the bodice, and 1" out of the skirt. I sewed the bodice muslin with the petite marking…