Skip to main content

Applique

You might have seen the tiny appliques on Edith:


I wanted to do a writeup of how I did them. It wasn't very difficult - the only annoying thing was that the two fabrics are very thin and I had to double up when sewing. Still, I'm quite happy with the result considering that:
     1. I basically went on instinct
     2. My thread colour did not match the fabric

I had decided to make Edith out of the white (well it was white when I bought it; then it became yellow during washing) fabric, but since that's a bit bland and I had a few scraps of the printed fabric, I thought I'd try my hand at applying appliques. I needed to figure it out anyway since Mr T wants me to add a "London Underground" applique to his new T-shirt and I don't trust just ironing these things on.

I started by taking a good look at the floral fabric and deciding what pieces I'll use:


and proceeded to cut them out. Then I arranged them on the pattern pieces:

And I was off to the ironing board. Since my pieces were really tiny, I didn't want to risk just sewing directly so I used some hemming tape to make them stick to the base fabric. This was difficult with the smaller pieces (hot iron, small piece of tape):


I also took advantage of this and properly ironed the fabric pieces. The result didn't look too impressive though:

They pieces did stick to the main fabric well enough but I did not want to damage my iron so I just added the hemming tape to the center of each floral piece. I gave up on the tiny numbers since I thought they wouldn't show up properly after stitching.

And with that I was off to the sewing machine. I mostly used the instruction manual for my Singer 1507 to figure out the settings. Basically I used a small zig-zag stitch and set the stitch length to 1 - but setting it to 0 would have worked better I think. Then I slowly started stitching. I found after a couple of stitches that I needed to double up the fabric so I attached a scrap of fabric to the back and sewed through it as well:

You can tell from the result there that I probably needed a smaller stitch length. This is what the big one looked finished:

You can see the double up fabric in that picture as well.

Be sure to cut it carefully if you do have to double up or this can happen:

That was actually quite difficult to fix :(


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…