Skip to main content

Rooibos top and pockets

I wanted to get the dress finished yesterday but was unable to. I think I was too tired, because I started off by sewing one front side to the other front side instead of the back side and then completely messed up my pockets.

In any case, this is how the top front looks like (you can tell the right collar thing looks a bit off):

And this is the top back:



I also worked on the pockets, but I messed up the "top" part (the one which uses the "E" part of the skirt). As for the "bottom" part of the pocket, I did one well. Here are pictures from the back and from the front:



However, the second one I completely messed up - I had to unpick the seam twice and these pictures are taken with lingerie tape to stabilize the two parts to figure out what's wrong. This is the skirt wrong side, which looks fine:

But on the other side, I've got a bit of extra lining:


I don't understand why since:
1) The other pocket is fine and the pieces are identical
2) If I take the piping out the lining and the skirt match perfectly!

I'll try to figure it out tonight. Also, this lingerie tape I'm using was 10 pounds and it's not very good for the actual skin but seems good to use for this sort of stuff.











Comments

  1. Pressing as you sew will make a world of difference. You will be amazed how much better things look, it is also easier to press in stages that when the garment is finished. I love the colors you chose for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it turned out a lovely dress. Actually the Rooibos is perfect for me, the second make was pretty good too. I'm better at pressing as I sew, but not quite there yet. The real problem is that I need to be very patient with this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make silk bias binding

I promised this tutorial a while ago, but was too busy with work to get to it. This tutorial will focus on how to iron and fold the binding, rather than how to cut it. I have three links to good tutorials about how to do the correct cutting.


Here goes: a tutorial for properly making bias binding. Apologies for picture quality, I was using my phone.

Tools needed:
* silk square for the bias, sewing machine and scissors to make the continuous bias strip that will be ironed into place
* a 2-inch (5cm) wide piece of cardboard
* some sort of vaporiser, filled with water
* bias tape maker - for these pictures, I used a Clover which makes 1/2" binding (starts with 1" strips), but if I were to do this again, I'd use the one which makes a 1" binding (out of 2" strips)

Naming:
* left-side: bias strip not yet passed through the bias maker
* right-side: bias strip which has been folded by the bias maker



Steps:

1. Cut bias strips out of your silk square. I like this tutorial…

Birds dress

Just another sheath dress from me today, from my TNT pattern. This one is all about the fabric:

I got this bird fabric from Plush Addict, and it seems to have been the last fabric purchase pre-baby (Cosmo - Nihonkai - Budgies On Oxford Cloth if you are interested), so didn't cut into it for a long time. In May, after finishing my coat, I finally took the plunge.


The pattern, as I said, was my TNT sheath pattern, pretty simple. The biggest challenge with this dress was fabric placement, I didn't want any weird bird cuts at seams, nor did I want any other sort of weird placement. 
As i had 2 meters of this fabric, I thought I should be able to get all that, so I spent a lot of time moving fabric pieces around, until I got it. I'm pretty happy with myself, the seams meld as much as possible, I'm particularly proud of the center back:


Construction wise, this dress has 6 darts and 5 seams, so it is all relatively straightforward. I stabilized the neckline and armholes with…

A new shirt

I made a white shirt. I cut this out sometime in late September, and I used McCalls 6035 again. I managed to finish it around Christmas. I wanted a nice white shirt, with a bit of a twist, so I added grey embelishments to it.


I am very pleased with how the embelishments turned out. I did a few things:
- embroidered the collar with French knots
- added grey/white twill tape to the sleeve seams
- used mother-of-pearl-with-grey-tint buttons

The effects are subtle, but they are there and I like them.



I embroidered the collar using two shades of grey, in a "burst" pattern. I tried to be relatively consistent about density of the French knots, but I think a bit of difference isn't very bad.


The collar was the first thing I finished, and it stayed there for a long time, until I found the time to get back to sewing.


I used a lot more interfacing on the collar than I normally do, and I think it shows. The buttons and tape on sleeves were added later and they're not very speci…